RJ
RJ, Appliance Tech.
Experience:  Norcold, Dometic, Atwood, Suburban repairs
3862310

My Norcold N811 refrigerator stopped cooling on both gas and

Customer Question

My Norcold N811 refrigerator stopped cooling on both gas and electric. The burner is hot to the touch and there is no yellow residue in the outside compartment.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  RJ replied 1 year ago.
Hi my name is Robert...
I can try and help you on this....
Are you getting any fault codes on the inside panel? IF not this could be an issue with the cooling unit or thermistor. A cooling unit can become blocked OR rupture, for a rupture you might smell ammonia, hear a gurgle when you turn it on OR see that yellow residue. For a blockage you might not have any symptoms at all but no cooling on both sources.
So if you have a volt meter you can ohm out the thermistor and see if it is good. The connector will be part of the lamp inside the fridge, you would disconnect that connector, put the thermistor pad in a cup of ice water and then take an ohm reading you should have around 30-32 ohms at 32F.... To help you out on this below is a service manual that will show you how to test, see page 20... Also if you leave that disconnected the fridge should default to full cooling, that would be another way to test if you do not have a volt meter, it is set up like that so if the thermistor fails all the food will not spoil.... Hope this helps some, IF you have more questions or concerns please feel free to contact me. IF you are satisfied with my efforts please feel free to select a rating, it is the only way I get credit... Robert
Link below.. (copy and paste into browser)
http://bryantrv.com/docs2/docs/ncoldnnewnseries.pdf
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My unit has no frnt display, only an indicator light. I removed the thermister and placed it in ice water and got 30 ohms. It does not ohm out when at room temp. The refer does not get cold with the thermister removed.
Expert:  RJ replied 1 year ago.
OK
Sounds like the cooling unit is bad. When the thermistor is disconnected it bypasses the controls and should go to full cooling.
A new cooling unit is going to cost over 1/2 of what a new fridge will and the labor is more. In the shop it is about 4 hours to r/r the cooling unit and only about 2 hours to replace.
IF you are satisfied with my efforts please feel free to select a rating, it is the only way I get credit for helping. Robert