Whrlp Master Tech
Whrlp Master Tech, Whirlpool Master Technician
Experience:  30 years Appliance Field 15 yr with Whirlpool Corp. 9 yrs Whirlpool Technical Assistance Line
16832328

I am trying to find out why my new Whirlpool frig model

Customer Question

I am trying to find out why my new Whirlpool frig model WRF535SMBM00 makes a crackling noise. I thought it was due to the ice maker which we had in the off position, but turing it on and making ice isn't solving the problem. This isn't a popping noise, rather a cracking noise.
Category: Appliance
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Please cancel the request. The ice maker seems to have been the problem. I just didn't wait long enough for it to resolve. Twenty mins later there is no crackling noise when the unit runs.
Expert:  sarah-cssm replied 1 year ago.
We received your customer service inquiry, however, we are unable to respond to you because we do not have your email address. Please contact customer support at***@******.*** and provide us with your email address and a link to this question page so that we can help you.
http://www.justanswer.com/appliance/98kej-trying-find-new-whirlpool-frig-model-wrf535smbm00-makes-crackling-noi.html
Thank you, ***** ***** Customer Support Team.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Relist: The problem was not with the ice maker but happens whenever the unit runs. Sounds like BBs rolling around in a pie tin.
Expert:  Appliance Guru replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thanks for using this service, if you have been waiting do not worry or get upset I am just one of the techs on here, I try to get to as many customers as I can and I just picked up your question now. Please give me time to respond as typing, researching and adding links takes me time to do so. Please be patient and often I will ask you questions to narrow down the issue to get you an accurate diagnosis.

How often does it make that noise?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Whenever it is running.

All the time a popping noise constantly? If so can you record it and upload it here?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't really want to pay more money for an answer, so I would appreciate it if I could get an email response. As I stated, the noise only happens when the unit is running. It sounds like a couple of BBs rolling in a tin pan. We didn't hear any noise except the motor, which was quietly humming, for the first few months. Then in addition to the hum there is the crackling noise when the motor runs. Hope you have an idea of what could be causing this.
Expert:  Whrlp Master Tech replied 1 year ago.

I see the last person has opted out of your question!

My name is Woody.
I will be glad to assist you today.
I have been servicing ALL Major Brands of Appliances for 35 Years,
and have over 100,000 in home repairs and over 80,000 internet repairs under my belt.

Can you tell me the general area that the noise is coming from?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for picking up my inquiry. The noise seems to come from the top section, not the freezer. My guess is from the back area. The sound is constant crackle and stops as soon as the motor stops. There was no noise for the first few months we had the unit.

No problem I tried to reply back to you yesterday but the system would not let me for some reason until now .

This noise would you say it is coming from the vent in the top of the fresh food section in the rear in the vent area?

whirlpool had issue with the vent damper motors making noises .

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It does sound like its coming from the back of the refrigerator at the top.

ok do you mean in the fresh food section or the outside rear of the cabinet?

if it is inside on the top of the freshfood section remove the cover for the damper /vent and you will find a motor driven damper .

I suspect it is that motor driven damper that is making the noise.

but let me know

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is the damper vent cover in the back at the top of the unit on the inside? Does it pop off? I don't want to break anything!

The damper is inside of the unit.

In the fresh food section rear wall ,at the top .

The vent has louvers they just pop off .once the louvers are remove the vent cover has one screw in it the the cover liftoff and out.

The louvers are item # ***** the cover is items #13 and #14 the damper is item #15

Those number are identifying part that are on this manufactures parts break down in this link , you will need to open the link to see the break down.

http://www.partadvantage.com/diagram/3/136/00000041/680/900