John, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance repair business owner for over 43 years.
12064207

I have a brand new Whirlpool Fridge that barely makes any

Customer Question

I have a brand new Whirlpool Fridge that barely makes any ice. It even has a "heavy ice" feature but nothing changes. It makes ice, but only about 2 cups a day...
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Tech Dave replied 1 year ago.

Hello, the temperature in the freezer is the most important factor in making ice. It should be close to zero. Above 15 degrees it won't make any ice. Can you get an accurate freezer temperature?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it is set to zero and the rest of the items in the fridge confirm it's cold.

I understand but 12 is cold but ice production will be very slow.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
wait a second, so you're saying that if I set my freezer to 12degrees it will make ice faster?

No. If there is a problem it won't matter where you set the control. I asked to to check the temperature not look at where it was set. The actual temperature is needed to see if it is a temperature problem or a problem with the icemaker etc.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
in other words I shouldn't trust the setting even if the ice cream is nice and hard? You're saying I need to use an independent thermometer to determine if my setting to zero is accurate?

I'm telling you what a tech would do if he came out. First check the temperature next see if the icemaker is completely filled with water or ice.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok. I'll try to find a way to check the temperature of the freezer independent of the unit.

Ok. Checking to see if ice is in the icemaker on your model is not easy for a homeowner.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
confirmed the temperature of the freezer is 0.

Okay, that is perfect. Next would be the amount of water. Can you tell if all the cubes you do get are all the same size? There are 8 cubes made at a time and they should all be the same size. The icemaker should dump 8 cubes every hour and 1/2. Any idea how many cubes you get a day?