Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

I have a Whirlpool washing machine model # LA 682 OS that

Customer Question

I have a Whirlpool washing machine model # ***** 682 OS that has stopped working. It makes clicking sounds only. Is there anything I can try? Should I call a repair person? Should I buy a new washing machine since this one is about 12 years old?
Thanks!
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

To be clear will the washer fill or drain or do anything at all right now? Is there any water inside the tub currently?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There is water in the tub. The washing machine doesn't do anything but make clicking sounds.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

OK so it sounds like either your motor has failed or possibly the pump is clogged. Below is a video that shows you how to take the washer apart so you can remove and check the pump for blockages. If you find nothing you'll need a new motor but at 12 years old I'd probably just replace the washer rather than replace the motor.

CLICK HERE for video

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service before you leave today. If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't think that helps me -- thanks anyway.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

I'm not sure what you mean. I've told you all the possibilities and gave you a video which shows you exactly how to access and remove the pump so you can determine which of those 2 possibilities you have.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
Hello again. I'm just following up because I haven't heard back from you and I see this question is still open. Is there anything else I can help you with?