Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

My icemaker's ice cubes freeze into a solid mass of ice, and

Customer Question

My icemaker's ice cubes freeze into a solid mass of ice, and the dispenser doesn't work, ,can you advise me?
Submitted: 1 year ago via ApplianceRepair.Net.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

Do you have a model number so I can better assist you? And are you saying that the dispenser won't even dispense water?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
GE model #GSH25JSTA SSNo problem with water dispenser, the freezer and refrigerator are stay cold it's only the freezer where the ice cubes all freeze together and they won't dispense ice cubes cause they're frozen together and the food packages in the freezer get all frosty.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

OK generally this is caused by the icemaker leaking into the bucket, or the freezer staying in defrost mode for too long allowing the cubes to melt and re-freeze into a block. Check to see if there are icicles coming from the bottom of the icemaker and if so, replace the icemaker because it's leaking. If not, then you'll want to replace the defrost thermistor which is supposed to end the defrost cycle if it's getting too warm in the freezer. The defrost thermistor is a small white plastic bullet clipped onto the top of the silver evaporator coils behind the lower back panel inside the freezer. Remove everything out of the freezer and remove the screws going into the lower back access panel to see the evaporator and defrost thermistor. Below is a link to the thermistor sensor you'll need to order and replace for your model. It's only about $10.

CLICK HERE for sensor

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service before you leave today. If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
Hello again. I'm just following up because I haven't heard back from you and I see this question is still open. Is there anything else I can help you with?