Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

I'm trying to see my my fidgerator keeps shutting off and

Customer Question

Hello, I'm trying to see my my fidgerator keeps shutting off and defrosts. It's an Amana
Category: Appliance
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi, I'm just trying to find out why my fidgerator keeps going into defrost mode. It's an Amana model #ARS2661BW. PLEASE HELP. THANKS Patricia Craig
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

When the refrigerator shuts off, do all the fans and motors cut out as well or do you hear the unit running even though everything is thawing out?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thats right. Only tjing that seems on is the light and a cli k in the fromt where ice maker is. Hope you can help me.Thanks Patricia
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

OK so the only 2 things that would cut everything off would be your thermostat inside the freezer where the dial is located. The dial you turn to adjust the temperature in the freezer is your thermostat and below is a link to the thermostat you'll need to order and replace for your model.

CLICK HERE for thermostat

If the only other option would be the defrost timer if it sticks in defrost. This part is located up in the top control panel inside the refrigerator and below is a link to this part. You can turn the little plastic knob on it clockwise 1 turn and if the refrigerator turns on when it has shut off and everything is warming up, then you need to replace the timer instead of the thermostat.

CLICK HERE for timer

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service before you leave today. If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello again.Thank you for answering my questions about my Amana Fid. But I'm not sure if you got my model number correct because when I looked for the controls in the freezer like you said, there are no controls in freezer just the fresh/cold part. So I wanted to make sure you had the right make and model. It's a
Amana model mum# ***** / PARS2661BWO. Again thank you so very much for your help in this problem of mine. Patricia
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

Sorry, you are correct. The part I looked up said "freezer" so I just made a bad assumption. But it is located inside the control panel inside the refrigerator against the left side wall.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay we will look it up as soon as my husband get home at 3.Sorry about this. Sincerely Patricia
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

OK good luck.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

No problem

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
Hello again. I'm just following up because I haven't heard back from you and I see this question is still open. Is there anything else I can help you with?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
sorry about that. I have been sick for a few days. I was wondering is there a way to check to see if either one of those parts is the problem before we have to buy them. I was just checking because I was hoping to know for sure. Anyway thanks for all your help. Patricia
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

The way to know for sure is to turn the defrost timer knob when the unit is warming up. If you manually turn the knob and it kicks the refrigerator back on, then your timer needs to be replaced---otherwise you need to replace the thermostat.