Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

I have an Amana refrigerator old one model TN22 Temp Assure

Customer Question

I have an Amana refrigerator old one model TN22 Temp Assure and the freezer is cold but the fridge is warm. The evaporator fan is not getting power to run. What turns on the evaporator fan is it the slide control in the fridge that you set to how cold you want the fridge or is it a thermostat?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

If the thermostat were bad, nothing would run including the fan motor or the compressor or anything else. The thermostat is what tells the fan and everything else to turn on and cool. That means that since the compressor is running and the freezer is trying to cool, either the fan motor itself has failed, or the defrost thermostat is cutting power to the fan motor. Clipped onto the top of the silver evaporator coils is a 1" round device with 2 wires going to it. That is your defrost thermostat. Check continuity through this part and if it has not continuity through it, it will cut power to the fan motor so it needs to be replaced. Keep in mind that this is a thermostat, so it will only close if the evaporator coils are frosted and below 32 degrees. If the unit is room temperature and the silver coils have no frost, it could take 30 minutes for the thermostat to cool down enough to close or so.

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service before you leave today. If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
Hello again. I'm just following up because I haven't heard back from you and I see this question is still open. Is there anything else I can help you with?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Did not fix the problem. I replaced the evaporator fan motor and now the thermostat and the fan still does not run. The frig is warm and the freezer is cold. The defrost timer works and the heater works but the fan does not run.