Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

I Have a Kenmore 10672002010 bottom freezer refrigerator.

Customer Question

I Have a Kenmore *********** bottom freezer refrigerator. the past week twice I found the fresh food part (upper) warm and the freezer was at 0F. I checked the defroster an it had resistance, this fridge has a problem with it's defrost drain and water doesn't all go down the drain so it accumalates. What should I look for?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

Unfortunately this is not an easy issue to fix on these bottom freezer top refrigerators. It sounds like your defrost drain line has backed up and that is causing too much moisture to accumulate inside the freezer creating excess frost to build up. You will want to unplug the unit for 24 hours to allow all the ice to thaw out. Once the ice is thawed out, the best way to clean the drain line is from the bottom up because going at it from the inside is really difficult. If you pull the refrigerator forward and remove the bottom access panel and locate the rubber hose which comes down directly from the middle or so of the freezer floor toward the back and use something like a turkey baster to shoot hot water up the hose. Once it's clear and you can blow air through the hose, you're good to go again. Also, if you have the ability to just unplug the refrigerator for 24 hours that'll thaw all the ice out and them you can just blow air up and clear the drain out.

Now this drain hose has been re-designed because the material on the hose would break down and the check valve inside won't allow water to flow out so below is a link to the new re-designed hose you'll want to order and replace with instructions.

CLICK HERE for drain hose

Also, I want to mention that if you don't hear or see the fan behind the back panel inside the freezer running, you'll need to replace the evaporator fan motor because this fan is what blows air up to the refrigerator from the freezer in order to cool the refrigerator down.

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service before you leave today. If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That repair I told you, the fan is working any other idea?
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

No, what you said is that you thawed out the drain. The drain line has been completely re-designed. If it's backing up still then you need to replace the drain line which has been redesigned.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I've done plenty of research and already asked Sears for the replacement line. Is there any electrical tests I can make to the board to be sure everything is working fine?
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

Is the drain still backing up? If so, then you still haven't fixed the drain portion. If not, then I'm not sure why you're mentioning it in your problem as a current problem so you're going to need to restate your current problem as what you originally said now makes no sense.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
You're right! I ordered the part from Sears but have not received it yet. Let me get it installed and see if I fix the warm fresh foods part. I wanted to know if there was any electrical test I could do.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

Well at this point if you thaw all the ice out and all the frost out on the silver coils and the fan is running, the refrigerator portion would be cooling. Is it not? It may not last forever if the drain keeps backing up and creating excess moisture causing the evaporator to pack with frost again, but it should still work temporarily. If it's not working temporarily then you have a second problem and the first thing you'll need to do is pull everything out of the freezer and remove the lower back panel inside the freezer. Look at the silver evaporator coils behind this panel and are the packed with frost, lightly frosted from top to bottom, some frost on top but not on bottom, not frost at all, etc... ? Also, is the fan above the coils running?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's been thawing for 3 days already and that portion is open I can see the coils. When I opened it was already thawed. should I turn it on for a test? I'm waiting for the P-trap in the mail.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

Well yes, you would need to re-install the back panel and turn the unit back on. It should start cooling like normal again and if so then it sounds like the drain line is just the source of your problems. There is no reason to believe there are multiple issues since the drain line you know isn't draining properly and can cause all these issues.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
Hello again. I'm just following up because I haven't heard back from you and I see this question is still open. Is there anything else I can help you with?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Haven't Received the part yet so I can't rate
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

ok...

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

ok...

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.