Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

Have whirlpool refrigerator with bottom freezer. ice builds

Customer Question

have whirlpool refrigerator with bottom freezer. ice builds up under bottom tray couple of inches and leaks onto floor? thanks in advance for any solution.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

Unfortunately this is not an easy issue to fix on these bottom freezer top refrigerators. It sounds like your defrost drain line has backed up and that is causing too much moisture to accumulate inside the freezer creating excess frost to build up. You will want to unplug the unit for 24 hours to allow all the ice to thaw out. Once the ice is thawed out, the best way to clean the drain line is from the bottom up because going at it from the inside is really difficult. If you pull the refrigerator forward and remove the bottom access panel and locate the rubber hose which comes down directly from the middle or so of the freezer floor toward the back and use something like a turkey baster to shoot hot water up the hose. Once it's clear and you can blow air through the hose, you're good to go again. Also, if you have the ability to just unplug the refrigerator for 24 hours that'll thaw all the ice out and them you can just blow air up and clear the drain out.

Now this drain hose has been re-designed because the material on the hose would break down and the check valve inside won't allow water to flow out so below is a link to the new re-designed hose you'll want to order and replace with instructions.

CLICK HERE for drain hose

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service before you leave today. If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
Hello again. I'm just following up because I haven't heard back from you and I see this question is still open. Is there anything else I can help you with?