Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

I have a whirlpool fridge model ed5hvaxvl02. I changed the

Customer Question

I have a whirlpool fridge model ed5hvaxvl02. I changed the filter and the ice maker wom
Not work, the light in the freezer is blinking red
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

If you open the door first, look at the red light to the right, is it flashing 2 times and then pausing over and over? If you shut the flap on the left side and make a clear path from right to left, does the light turn solid?

OK, now look inside the icemaker itself, is there any ice or water in the icemaker mold? There are white fingers that push the ice out of the icemaker mold, what direction are they facing? Are they above the horizon or below? Pointing forward or backwards?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The light goes solid red. The fingers are above the horizon facing the front
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There is no ice in the icemaker
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

OK perfect, so all of that sounds like it's working properly. If the issue occurred right after replacing the water filter, most likely water got in the line and caused the fill tube to freeze solid and not allow water to the icemaker when it cycles. Without guessing, probably the best thing to do is determine if the icemaker isn't cycling and calling for water, or if water isn't actually making it to the refrigerator. First, make sure the freezer is below 10 degrees because the icemaker will not cycle if the temperature in the freezer is over 10 degrees. Next, fill up the icemaker with a cup of water and wait 24 hours to see if it cycles and dumps the ice. If it doesn't cycle, replace the icemaker because it's just bad. If it cycles but doesn't fill up with water, check the fill tube above the icemaker and if it's frozen solid, use a hair dryer and thaw it out. You can also pull the refrigerator forward and disconnect the water line at the valve which goes up to the icemaker. Then blow through it to make sure it's clear.

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service before you leave today. If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The response was fast I will try the suggestions and see if it works
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

Alright sounds great and good luck!