shaithus1
shaithus1,
60480551

I have aHobart HFED combi oven which is showing error code

Customer Question

Hi. I have aHobart HFED combi oven which is showing error code 8. The main fan only goes in one direction. The inversion board is fine.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  shaithus1 replied 1 year ago.

Hi.. I would check the water level sensors in the boiler.. check to see if they are covered in lime...

clean and bring unit on line to see if that takes care of it...let me know..

Phillip

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi there

Can you tell me why the boiler water level sensors would effect the motor operation?

Thanks

Expert:  shaithus1 replied 1 year ago.
HI.. sure.... normally, the unit fills, heats the water for steam before the entire unit will work... I shouldve asked you if you had total operation other than the motor..
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi so the unit works in every respect except the motor reverse operation. I have got the technical manual and done several tests. For example, checked the reversing relay and normal clockwise motor operation in the diagnostic mode on the unit.

When the unit starts, by default the motor spins in the clockwise direction, then reverses whenever you open then close the door, or after a period of time. The motor braking is also non functional.

So what happens is it starts operating as per normal, then when the reversal time comes or you open and close the door, the error code appears.

I guess I am unclear why the water level sensors have anything to do with the motor reversal. Given it's a bit of a job to do it (check and descale the sensors), and the amount of time I have spent digging around in the oven, I would like a few other ideas to help me.

Could it be a motor fault?

The unit may have overheated as it was not installed with enough ventilation clearance.

Many thanks

Owen

Expert:  shaithus1 replied 1 year ago.

Hi.. thank you for your response.. since we now know it works in all respects except the motor... we can eliminate the probe issue...

since the motor runs in clockwise but not counterclockwise I would have to presume the motor inverter is not telling it to change directions... what does the inverter indicate when you attempt to make the unit run counter clockwise?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

OK sorry about the delay in getting back to you, We are still far from it being fixed but I will need to have a look and discuss during the week.

as far as i know it has an inversion relay on a small circuit board at the back of the machine (right hand side, rear, behind main circuit board) which switches the direction of the motor. It is mounted right next to the starting capacitor. This relay and capacitor are both fully operational.

So maybe the signal to switch the polarity of the relay (coming from the main logic board) is not working?

Owen

Regards, Owen

Expert:  shaithus1 replied 1 year ago.

That sounds correct.. code 8 is the motor error....it could be the relay on the board that sends the signal...is not functioning correctly. I have been able to tap on these and had them operate...at that point that board must be changed. Normally, Hobart has a diagnostic code to enter to check for component operation...I do not have that code but, it is very helpful because you can check operation of the systems.. You might be able to contact your local Hobart branch and get that code.