Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!
11418111

I have a GE trash compactor model GCG1580l0SS. Problem I

Customer Question

I have a GE trash compactor model GCG1580l0SS. Problem I cannot either shut it open the compactor. I pressed the foot pedal and I immediately opened the drawer been stuck any ideas
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for counting on us to help with your appliance problem. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you! The most common cause of poor drawer movement or not being able to open or close the drawer is trash lodged in around the tracks or behind the drawer. Also, if the ram is not fully up, it can impede movement. Will it not close all the way or what exactly is it doing? Have you removed the drawer and checked the interior and removed any trash?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Kelly the drawer is not moving forward or backward. The trash was not full at all so my guess is when I clicked the foot pedal I immediately pulled the drawer and that is why it jammed
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.

Can you tell if the ram is up or down? If you lift up on the drawer, does it make any difference?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I cannot tell as the drawer jammed just a bit out, I clicked at the button to reset the drawer nothing happened. I tried lifting and pulling forward or backward no difference
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.

I am unavailable for phone service. I have alerted the others that you are needing phone service, if anyone is available they will post.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Kelly I never requested the phone call this I did not click on the request a call. Thank you
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.

Sorry for the confusion, I can continue. When you step on the pedal (number 206 in the diagram at the link below), there is a little tab that is designed to push the drawer out. Can you look at that tab and see if it is in place?

CLICK HERE