Appliance Tech Dave
Appliance Tech Dave, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  30 years experience specializing in Whirlpool, KitchenAid and Kenmore
19941226

I have a Maxima XL dryer and the control lock light is on

Customer Question

I have a Maxima XL dryer and the control lock light is on all of a sudden and won't let me do anything
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Tech Dave replied 1 year ago.

Hello, this is Dave. Press and hold the End of Cycle button for 4 seconds. That should unlock the controls for you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I tried that, and nothing happened

Does the control allow you to make any changes or set up to start a cycle?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It doesn't allow for anything else to happen.

Lets unplug the dryer for 3 minute and try again.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I also did that, for about 5

Looks like we will need to do some testing with a meter. Do you have a meter and does the light come on when you open the door?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't have a meter and the light does turn on when the door is opened

Let me check the wiring diagram and see if there is anything you can do without a meter.

Have you held the bottom button that says control lock for 4 seconds? It is the one below the end of cycle signal.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I did Sir,

Okay, without a meter, all we can do is try diagnostics. Here are the steps. Write down any codes you get and use the hird button you pict to press to advance to see if there are more than one code.

1. Be sure the dryer is in standby mode (plugged in with all indicators off). 2. Select any three (3) buttons (except “power”) and follow the steps below, using the same buttons. The best one to use are up and down from Temperature to Garments. Remember the buttons and the order that the buttons were pressed. Within 8 seconds, • Press and Release the 1st selected button, • P ress and Release the 2nd selected button, • Press and Release the 3rd selected button; • R epeat this 3 button sequence 2 more times. 3. If this test mode has been entered successfully, all indicators on the console are illuminated for 5 seconds with “888” showing in the “estimated cycle time” threedigit display. If there are no saved fault codes, all indicators on the console will momentarily turn off, and then only the seven segment display will come back on and display “888”.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm sorry this isn't working for me. Thank you but I do think want to continue with this. The other thingside didn't work and I do think want to mess anything g else up. Thank you for your quick response.

Okay, Best wishes to you. My best guess based on what we did so far would be a control or the touch pnel.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is this a one time charge, how does this work, what is the charge fee and do I have to call so I don't get charged again?
It is a one time charge but I can request a refund for you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you that would be great.

Done