Phil
Phil, Shop owner
Experience:  Degree, Mech. engr. shop owner. 51 years experience
23932409

I just passed up one on e-bay. With the ET, I would like to

Customer Question

I just passed up one on e-bay. With the ET, I would like to buy new but the owner is a hard person to beal with. He is charging all sorts of document fees because he thinks I'll need them to import the machine. Even though I told him, there is no such requirement to import into Bermuda because I've been doing this for over fifteen years and know what the regulations here are. He insist that I don't know what I'm talking about as though he's the one who lives here. My other issue is, the ET makes the batches a bit on the soft side, I don't have a big blast freezer, neither can I fit a bigger one in my space. My Blast Freezer ca only hold three pans at a time, so to keep production going, I need them to be out of the blast freezer in no more than 20 min. Even though the Carpigiani is not my first choice, they do make a dryer batch, which will enable me to flow more efficiently. With the ET, I have to keep them in for about 4 hrs before I can take them out. So My choices are, to buy the carpigiani, which is not as good as the ET but is more efficient. Can't buy new ET so I would have to wait for a used one to go up for sale. Also, I just had a hopper compressor failed in one of my Electro Freeze SL-500, they are only 1-1/2 years old so the warranty came in handy there. I also read online from one person who had compressor failed in her CB-350 and the customer service she received from the owner, was consistent with my experience with him. I just wanted to get some insight on what to look for in the Carpigiani, if I decided to buy one. Have you worked on any? and if so, what do you see as their main issues?.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Phil replied 1 year ago.
Hello again,I have not worked on a Carpigiani... I am basing my judgement on the fact that it is a foreign made machine, much lower volume and will be infinitely more difficult to get parts and service on than the high volume. long established ET machine... however even on the US mainland the machine is not common enough to have a dedicated service capabilty set up except in the largest cities. It is going be a whole lot *worse in Bermuda. I hear you on the blast freezer issue. I don't know what to tell you about that, its a logistics issue that you will have to sort out on your end... there will be nothing easy or cheap about that. You can talk to ET factory about the possibility of buying an extended 5 year warranty on the compressor. That is generally an available option...you would want it not be pro-rated and to include at least a $400 labor allowance. In notice that Carpigiani's prices are quite a bit higher, that could easily be to cover the cost of a third party warranty provider. Compressors burn out primarily because they run too hot, that happens when the air cooled condensers are not kept clean or the room the ice cream machine is in is allowed to get too hot. -------------We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service before you leave today, the company only pays me if you rate my work. It is how I earn a living, and does not increase your charges. Ifyou need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional cost.