Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

We have 501R Sub Zero fridge. We replaced the door gasket/seal

Customer Question

We have 501R Sub Zero fridge. We replaced the door gasket/seal this afternoon (it was ripped & letting air in). Now, the door will not shut and seal properly.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
You will need to form the new door seal. Use a hair dryer for about 1 hour or so just going up and down the seal slowly to heat it up completely. Once all the wrinkles are gone and it's warm, close the door and don't open the door for about 4 hours to allow the door seal to set and form. After that you should be good to go again if you replaced the seal correctly. You can also rub just a little bit of Vasaline on the inner seal hinge side to make sure it slides better across the frame of the refrigerator when you close the door.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It looks like the door is out of alignment. We heated the seal before we put it onto the door, so it doesn't appear to have any bumps, etc. The door liner is not bumping into the fridge liner. Is there a way to adjust the door? We need to raise the handle side of the door.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
There is no adjustment for the door. If you removed all the screws around the inner door liner to replace the door seal, then possibly the door is torqued and you'll need to loosen all the screws, torque the door back into position, and then tighten the screws back down again.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. We'll continue to work on it.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
alright good luck to you
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
Hello again. I'm just following up because I haven't heard back from you and I see this question is still open. Is there anything else I can help you with?