John, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance repair business owner for over 43 years.
12064207

Robert, I have an issue with my maytag drier model LDE4805ACE. I replaced the drive

Customer Question

Hi Robert,
I have an issue with my maytag drier model LDE4805ACE. I replaced the drive motor because it died. When I put the dryer back together everything worked out and I was able to dry clothes. When I went to dry the next load the drier wouldn't start.
When I press the start button the light lights up, but the drier won't tumble or start. I checked the door switch, start switch, heating element, and thermal fuses in the heating element and all had continuity. I haven't checked the motor yet, but feel like that isn't likely since it ran fine after its installation.
Do you have any thoughts on what I should check next or recheck?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Whrlp Master Tech replied 1 year ago.
Hello from JA My name is Woody. I will be glad to assist you today. I have been servicing ALL Major Brands of Appliances for 34 Years, and have over 100,000 in home repairs and over 60,000 phone and internet repairs under my belt.Have you tested the voltage to the unit? And looked at the electrical harness leads to the motor ,you may have had one come lose?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Could you be more specific about what "unit" is? Are you referring to the motor that I just installed or voltage from the wall?I'll check the motor leads next...the wires sit a little higher in the new motor maybe too close to the dryer tube....Once I've tested I'll give you a response -- will probably be in 3 hrs or so.
the "unit" is the dryer !!And voltage from the wall for testing
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
So last night I figured out the issue or part of it. Per your above recommendations I checked everything -- wall voltage was 240 and wiring to motor was not loose.So I looked over the wiring diagram again and noticed that there are two thermal fuses. The one that I checked attached to the heating element and another attached to blower/exhaust tube. When searching around for the second thermal fuse I found this gem (see below or attachment). I also checked the thermal fuse next to it and it was dead.So I replaced the burnt out fuse and waiting for a new thermal fuse. My question to you is what could have caused this? Did I connect the wiring to the motor incorrectly (seems unlikely since the drier ran initially for a complete cycle) or did the thermal fuse just go due to age?
That is the cycle thermostat with internal heater it looks as if the contact opens and closed it appears that the contact got hot and welded the contact points and of course the top of the thermostat is come off unless you took it off.And of course if the contact got welded closed then the heater would stay on and cause the thermal fuse to open.I can not say if you have the motor wired correctly or not.I would need a picture of the motor and connections to say yes or no!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Good point. I'll take a picture tonight.The top of the cycle thermostat was blown off...it was hanging in place because one of the wires was holding onto it.Based on what you said it seems like my motor installation and the cycle thermostat event are independent, but I guess we can confirm when I take a picture of the wiring to the motor.
yes the two should not have anything to do with each other ,two different electrical circuit.