Appliance Medic
Appliance Medic, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Factory Trained CFC Technician
13570846

I have PSS26MSWASS. The freezer was cold and fridge was warm.

Customer Question

I have PSS26MSWASS. The freezer was cold and fridge was warm. I cleaned coils for condenser fan which still runs and sounds ok. The water also stopped working but ice works. I was following the following.
http://www.repairclinic.com/RepairHelp/How-To-Fix-A-Refrigerator/58--686839-/Refrigerator-freezer-is-cold-but-refrigerator-is-warm-PSS26MSWASS
I thought it was damper but I ended up replacing the motherboard. The evaporator fan still seems to run fine and sounds ok. Still doesn't work.
Is there a way to check the damper before I buy?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Medic replied 1 year ago.
Hi, usually when the damper fails the little flap door inside breaks off and it freezes everything inside.It's possibly the thermistor is out of range and not opening the damper motor when it should. I would first start by testing the refrigerator thermistor with a multimeter. The thermistor should read 5k ohm at room temp. Around 37 degrees it should read 14.4k. We work on the honor system here at Just Answers. Were not credited for our work until you rate our answers positively. After you rate our answers positively the question does not close. You can come back and ask follow up questions for no additional charge. Thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sounds good. I took the damper off yesterday and it seemed to be in place and not broken. Do you know where on board I can check thermistor?
Yes, normally the little 2 x 2 square piece breaks off the hinges. The thermistor is best tested out of the refrigerator. You can control the temp of the thermistor better to get a more accurate test result. We work on the honor system here at Just Answers. Were not credited for our work until you rate our answers positively. After you rate our answers positively the question does not close. You can come back and ask follow up questions for no additional charge. Thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry, had to go back to the office yesterday. I know where the thermistor is, but how do I test it? I don't know how to do the read without accessing the lead wires.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My fridge is off and at room temperature by the way.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I may have figured out the problem! the switch for the door on the refrigerator was broken. This would explain why the damper would not open.
So the light was staying on as well? That's strange. Glad you found it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I think so because the refrigerator was getting hot near the bulbs. Since I am paying you, can you tell me how to check the thermistor?
Yes, you need a volt meter that has an ohm setting. You can get a cheap one for $5 from harbor freight or the likes. The end of the thermistor has two wires. Set the meter to the resistance setting and test the end of the two wires. The thermistor should read 5k ohm at room temp. Around 37 degrees it should read 14.4k. We work on the honor system here at Just Answers. Were not credited for our work until you rate our answers positively. After you rate our answers positively the question does not close. You can come back and ask follow up questions for no additional charge. Thank you