Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

I have a built in subzero the wiring diagram says it is a model

Customer Question

I have a built in subzero the wiring diagram says it is a model 550/511. The freezer is working fine, the top is just cool. It was here when I moved in several years ago, I do not know the age of this unit. Is it worth fixing?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
You could have a freon leak or a bad thermostat or a bad fan motor or possibly a bad door switch not triggering the fan motor, those are the possibilities. The unit is definitely over 15 years old based on the model so it's getting older as far as appliances are concerned. Your best case scenario would be if one of the door switches has failed and isn't telling the fan to turn on when you shut the door---that would be about $200 or so to have fixed. The worst case would be a freon leak which could be over $1500 to repair so those would be the things you're looking at. At 15 years old if the unit is in great condition it might be worth fixing either way since these units are so expensive new.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
Not a problem and I wish you only the best. We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service before you leave today. If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
Hello again. I'm just following up because I haven't heard back from you and I see this question is still open. Is there anything else I can help you with?