Tom Goellner, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  32 yrs. experience servicing major appliances and HVAC equipment.
6636336

GE stove Model jgb870sef2ss has an issue with burners. The

Customer Question

GE stove Model jgb870sef2ss has an issue with burners. The right front "powerboil": the flames in the 6 to 9 o clock position are bending toward the center of burner a and are not"pointed": like the others. They fodl toward the center. This happens at all flame heights.
The left front burner: the opening of the burner above the electrode has a flame that flickers on and off ( I can send a pic) This flames appears almost like excess gas build up then ignites then extinguishes then builds up t hen ignites etc, but happening multiple times a second This happens at all flame settings. Stove is new all issues have happened since the first sue. The stove is LP not natural gas, I installed and reinstalled the LP burner adapters on the burners and cleaned them out using the supplied tool, cleaned parts of the burner as well. Burners been used about 30 times
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tom Goellner replied 1 year ago.
When you ( or someone ) converted it to LP did you install the small part in the burner head ( under the top of the burner ) for the power boil burner ? Did you also remove the regulator cap , turn it around and reinstall it , so the regulator was set for LP gas ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes
Every burner has a different orifice . Go over your installation instructions and recheck if you have the correct orifice in the burners . The stamps on the burners are not that easy to see. If these ARE correct , the next step is to check the gas pressure at a burner , check the power boil. This is easily done , but you need a manometer which reads pressure in inches of water column , which for LP is 10 to 11 inches.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok. Manometer needed if that reads fine what is next step? I triple checked the burner orifices as well already. Thought that was my first issue but wasnt
If that reads fine - then call for service , because all these aforementioned checks are NOT warranty covered. If gas pressure is correct , and correct orifice installed , regulator is set correctly , the problem is the stove ( burner valve, burner piping , etc ) and best left for a GE tech to correct for free.