Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

Washing machine won't start

Customer Question

Washing machine won't start
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Medic replied 1 year ago.
Hi, what is the model number from the small white sticker under or around the door/lid? Thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Wtw4850bw0
Do the lights come on?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Door locks,Sensing light comes on. That's all
Thank you. Have you pressed and held the start/cancel button in for 5-10 seconds? What about unplugging it for 2-3 minutes and trying again? Thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Saw something online to put in test mode. Did it and saw results. Didn't write it down
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Did it again , I think different results
What are the results?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
forget. Can you walk me thru it
Are you able to enter diagnostics mode now?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can I get all light to come on then when I click to the right, different lights com on but not flashing
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Oh. Didn't hit start
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
First, the lid lock light blinking only means that you have an error, it does not indicate that the problem is with your lid lock assembly. So I just want to start by saying if I was in your house, I'd go through diagnostics and see what error code you're getting, but I've tried to explain how to do this to many people and for some reason they just can't get the sequence to work. So by far, the most likely thing that will cause this issue is your actuator failing or possibly your drain pump being clogged up. Both the drain pump and the actuator motor are located below the tub and if you're wondering, the actuator is the part that switches the shifter next to the motor. You'll want to first check the drain pump so unplug the washer and tip the unit backwards a bit so you can get underneath. Follow the drain hose to locate the drain pump under the tub and you'll want to remove as much water out of the tub as you can because whatever is left inside will come pouring out once you remove the drain pump. Have a wet vac or lots of towels ready to soak up the water that comes out. Check for a blockage and remove anything inside the pump that you find. Put everything back together and try the washer again. If you still get the same problem, onto the actuator we go.To access the actuator you need to unplug the washer, tip the washer backwards, and remove the 2 screws going into the plastic cover near the back left corner. That will allow you to access the motor and the actuator to the right of the motor. Remove the screws going into the actuator and replace the actuator. Below is a link to the part you'd need to order for your model. CLICK HERE for part as well as video at bottom of link that shows you how to replace the part.Now, if you wanted to give it a shot and see if you can pull up an error code, here is the sequence you'll need to go through to display the error code.1. Be sure the washer is in standby mode (plugged in with all indicators off). (press and hold the start/cancel button for 3 seconds to turn everything off)2. Perform the following sequence of movement using the cycle selector knob. NOTE: AFTER RESET, sequence “a” through “e” must be completed within 6 seconds.RESET - Rotate cycle selector knob counterclockwise to clear sequence. a. Rotate cycle selector knob counter-clockwise one click and wait 1/2 second.b. Rotate cycle selector knob clockwise one click and wait 1⁄2 second. c. Rotate cycle selector knob clockwise one click and wait 1⁄2 second.d. Rotate cycle selector knob clockwise one click and wait 1⁄2 second. e. Rotate cycle selector knob counter-clockwise one click and wait 1⁄2 second. f. Rotate cycle selector knob clockwise one click and wait 1⁄2 second. Now you are in diagnostics. Turn the knob until just the "DONE" LED is illuminated. Push START. Now turn the dial one click and now the error code is displayed in the form of LEDs along the progress line. Just note which lights appear and let me know and I can tell you what error you're getting. There will be 2 sets of lights that appear and I need both sets to know what error you're getting.We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service before you leave today. If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Got the codes
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
OK, I would need to know what they are to tell you what it means.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
First click. Sensing rinse spin done followed by done
Second third and fourth click is just the sensing light flashing
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Next clickis all the lights flashing except lock
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Then repeat
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
OK perfect. That is definitely an actuator shift fault so just order and replace the actuator in the link I gave you before and you should be good to go. Below is a link to the part again. CLICK HERE for part as well as video at bottom of link that shows you how to replace the part.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do you have a part number
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Are u certain
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
Yes I am, and the part number is *****
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Are you there
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How does the payment work
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I got charged twice
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
I'm here. Your end of payment has already been charged. That sits in your account on Justanswer.com until you rate me. You just rate my help and then there is an E-mail sent to you with a link to come back and ask follow-up questions later if you need help later on for something. It appears as though you opened up 2 questions which is why you were charged twice. The other question will be closed out since it's a duplicate question but you'll need to contact Customer Service to refund the other charge--I have no control for that.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How do I contact them
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
So what do I do now
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
You rate this question to give me credit for helping you. You will need to call 1.***-***-**** for customer service to request a refund on the other question--I can't do anything about that myself.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
Hello again. I'm just following up because I haven't heard back from you and I see this question is still open. Is there anything else I can help you with?