Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!
11418111

I have a Miele K 855 iD-1 refrigerator. I have had it 7 years.

Customer Question

I have a Miele K 855 iD-1 refrigerator. I have had it 7 years. It does not stay cold. This is the third time this has happened. The last time was 28/11/2013. The temp is 10 deg C, but the digital display says 2 degrees and it no longer cools. Both times it was repaired by replacing the temperature controller. It does not make sense for temp controllers to fail every 18 months. Why is the display showing 2 deg when it is 10 deg?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for counting on us to help with your appliance problem. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you! You either have a faulty sensor or the controller is not reading the sensor correctly. Since that circuit works by measuring the resistance of the sensor, a poor connection could cause trouble, too. I would check the connections at the controller and the sensor. If all secure, measure the resistance of the sensor while it is in a glass of ice water. Do you have a meter to test with?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Kelly
Thanks for your help. I do not know if you are familiar with the Miele appliance or not. Your advice suggests maybe not, since there is no way i can put the temp sensor in water, i do not even know where it is. Nevertheless i also suspect that the problem is with the temp sensor or board, since it is displaying 2 deg C when the fridge is warm so it has to be wrong.
The temperature is supposed to be controlled by a separate thermostat. - your normal liquid in tube thermostat. Then there is a separate board with digital temp display and two buttons: one labelled "super" (super cool) which seems to by-pass the thermostat and just run the compressor full bore for a period of time and one for "dynamic cooling" which just just turns on the fan. The fridge destroys the thermostats at a great rate. This is the third time in 7 years.
I am planning to have the service technician replace the circuit board, even though a new thermostat usually does the job.
I just wanted to know if someone on this site was familiar with this type of product and had seen something similar or had access to circuit drawings and could make some suggestions. It has become a big problem for me because it is an integrated fridge and i cannot just by a new one.
Regards