Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

I have a whirlpool duet washer and am getinng a lot of stains

Customer Question

i have a whirlpool duet washer and am getinng a lot of stains that look like rust
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
So the first thing you'll want to do is wipe out the front rubber door gasket with 20% bleach/water mixture and a rag because gunk can build up in the folds and get on the clothing causing stains. Other than that, run a cycle with a product called Washer Magic which you can pick up at Lowes or oder on-line and that will clean out the rest of your washer. If the issue doesn't go away, then you have a bad main bearing which is leaking grease onto the clothes and the is a very expensive fix which may not be worth fixing because it requires replacing the rear outer tub and the entire inner stainless steal tub which is about $600-700 to have replaced. We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service before you leave today. If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks tyler- it only seems tohappen on white clothes which is weird- and other things i've read are saying it could be the water...too much iron in it or something, or the pipes. This machine has been problematic forever. Very aggravating. Could it be the water? Also I'm ready to just get the cheapest old fashioned top loader i can find- every time i buy aan expensive machine they don't work. Any suggestions?
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
No, the water itself wouldn't cause the problem unless all the clothes are dingy or something. It wouldn't creates spots or streaks. The only old fashion washer around at this point is Frigidaire, so if that's what you're looking for that is what you'd want to buy.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
Hello again. I'm just following up because I haven't heard back from you and I see this question is still open. Is there anything else I can help you with?