Whrlp Master Tech
Whrlp Master Tech, Whirlpool Master Technician
Experience:  30 years Appliance Field 15 yr with Whirlpool Corp. 9 yrs Whirlpool Technical Assistance Line
16832328

111mk, I have a whirlpool washer that works good when you start a

Customer Question

I have a whirlpool washer that works good when you start a normal cycle. Fills with water and agitates. When the dial gets past light it stops and does nothing. The dial is past light in between light and rinse. What is wrong and how do I fix it. Still
filled with water. Model number is *****
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
Well hello again, So on this washer if it just stops before rinse cycle, your washer thinks the lid is not shut. Make sure the lid isn't bent and that the prong which pushes on the lid switch isn't broken off. If that checks good, you'll need to order and replace the lid switch below the top panel to resolve this issue so below is a link to the part. CLICK HERE for lid switch
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I dont see a lid switch. When I almost close the lid all the way I hear a clicking
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
It's under the panel in the back right corner. The entire outer shell would need to be removed to access it. The hinge on the lid is the part that clicks the lid switch. And if your lid switch happens to be working and you have continuity through the switch when the lid is shut, you would have a bad contact inside your timer so the main timer would need to be replaced if that were the case.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
So do I replace the timer? And if so what is the part number? Is there a way to check continuity and if so how?
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
No, you only replace the timer if the lid switch is good. To test continuity through the lid switch, you need to remove the control panel and unplug the lid switch. Test continuity through the 2 outside wires when the lid is closed coming from the lid switch. If you have no continuity, then replace the lid switch. If you have continuity, replace the timer. You'll need a multimeter to test for continuity of course.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
Hello again. I'm just following up because I haven't heard back from you and I see this question is still open. Is there anything else I can help you with?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What is the part number for the timer?
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
Sure thing. The part number is(###) ###-####and below is a link to the timer. CLICK HERE for timer
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How do I remove the outer shell to get to the lid switch so I can test it? Also here is a picture of my meter, what do I set it on for testing?
Expert:  Whrlp Master Tech replied 1 year ago.
I see the last person has opted out of your question!My name is Woody. I will be glad to assistftf2140fso you today. I have been servicing ALL Major Brands of Appliances for 35 Years, and have over 100,000 in home repairs and over 80,000 internet repairs under my belt.To test the lid switch you do not have to remove the cabinet ,just lift up the console panel.here is a video on opening the console area and testing the switch .Let me know what you find . https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1G6h0EOlbs
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I opened up the top as in the pisture and there is no lid switch. I believe its inside the cabinet. How do I get in there the easiest?
In the picture on the right side is the lid switch harness right in front of the paper tech sheet,, you do not even have the lid switch harness plugged into the lid switch .Has some one recently worked on this unit?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I bought it used this way. Where is the connector supposed to be? I dont see anything that connects into it