Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

My fridge gets warm and a freezer still cold, when i turn it

Customer Question

my fridge gets warm and a freezer still cold, when i turn it off for a day and drain all water it starts work again for a month and than gets warm
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
Unfortunately your refrigerator isn't defrosting on it's own which is why it will work for about a month when you turn it off for a day and allow it to defrost. You'll need to pull everything out of the freezer and remove the back panel inside the freezer. With a multimeter, test continuity through the heater that runs along the bottom of the silver coils (where all the frost builds up behind the back panel inside the freezer), and test continuity through the defrost thermostat clipped onto the top of the silver coils. There is a thermal fuse also clipped onto the silver coils so test that as well. If any part doesn't have continuity, replace that part because it's stopping the unit from defrosting. Below is a link to both parts. CLICK HERE for heater CLICK HERE for defrost thermal fuse CLICK HERE for defrost thermostat We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service before you leave today. If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance. We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service before you leave today. If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
Hello again. I'm just following up because I haven't heard back from you and I see this question is still open. Is there anything else I can help you with?