Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!
11418111

I have a GE convection microwave oven. It has decided not

Customer Question

I have a GE convection microwave oven. It has decided not to heat at all. Have had it since 2002. Is it repairable . . . should I just buy a new one?
Category: Appliance
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The one we have now vents from the front top. New ones all seem to vent from the back. Live in a condo and cannot change this set-up. Are there any available that vents from the front?
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Hi, welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you! Any OTR microwave has the ability to vent out the front, top or back, depending on your configuration. As far as it not heating, if it sounds the same as it always has but just won't heat, the magnetron has likely failed. The magnetron has a 10 year warranty, but you have surpassed that. It is expensive and, added to the service call and labor, will cost as much as a new microwave. I would replace the unit, it has surpassed its expected life of about 10 years. Please let me know if you have additional questions or need clarification. There is no additional charge for any follow up help! Please remember to leave positive feedback before you leave. If you have any other questions, please let me know! You may continue asking follow-up questions until you have all the information you need, even after rating my service. Thank you!