The Home Smithy, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  30 years repairing appliances
3079445

Maytag MED97005Q0.. lights come on digital read out shows drying

Customer Question

Maytag MED97005Q0.. lights come on digital read out shows drying time. I push the start button and it beeps but it does not start drying. Lights stay lit but drum does not turn. I have unplugged it for a minute then plugged it back in and tried again. Same .. lights on sound beeps but no action. No error message. I tried both sides of the setting dial, manual and automatic.
Category: Appliance
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
correction on model number it is MED9700SQ0.. mistook the S for a 5 sorry
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
getting late I will check back around 9a.m. MDT
Expert:  The Home Smithy replied 1 year ago.
Hi, and welcome to JustAnswer.Try this for me.ACTIVATING THE DIAGNOSTIC TESTMODE1. Be sure the dryer is in standby mode (plugged inand all indicators off).2. Press the following button sequence: + (more time), – (less time), + (more time), – (less time), all within 5 seconds.3. All indicators on the console are illuminated with88 showing in the Estimated Time Remaining (two-digit) display, if this test mode has been entered successfully.If anything else appears in the window continue as far as you can with the diagnostics using the following information and let me know the results. We can go from there.If unsuccessful entry into diagnosticmode, actions can be taken forspecific indications:Indication 1:None of the indicatorsor display turns on.Action:Select any manual cycle.➔If indicators come on, then try tochange the dryer time by pressing the+and–buttons. If either button fails tochange the time, something is faultywith one of those buttons, and it is notpossible to enter the diagnostic mode.Remove the console electronics andhousing. See Accessing & Removingthe Electronic Assemblies, page 7.➔If no indicators come on after pressingthe Manual cycle buttons, go toTEST #1, page 3.Indication 2:E1 or E2 flashes fromthe display.Action:Proceed to TEST #3a, page 4.Indication 3:E3 flashes from thedisplay.Action:Check that the correct machinecontrol electronics and consoleelectronics and housing are installed. Doso by removing these components to viewthe part numbers and compare them tothe part numbers in the Service Parts Listfor this unit. See Accessing & Removingthe Electronic Assemblies, page 7.Replace components if necessary.Diagnostic: Console switches andindicatorsPressing each button or turning the cycleselector to each cycle should cause a beeptone and control one or more LEDs as shownin figure 1, page 3. Pressing the Hold To Startbutton will also control the motor and heater,while the two-digit display will indicate asoftware project i.d. number.Diagnostic: Moisture SensorLocate two metal strips on the face of the lintscreen housing. Bridge these strips with awet cloth or a finger.➔If a beep is heard and a softwarerevision number is ***** on theconsole, the sensor is OK.➔If not, or if a beep tone is heard beforebridging the moisture strips, go toTEST#4,step2,page5.Diagnostic: Door SwitchOpening the door should cause a beep toneand a number and letter to be indicated in thetwo-digit display. Closing the door firmlyshould cause a beep tone and the display togo blank or indicate88
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. I performed the diagnostic instructions. got an 88. When I pushed the plus or minus it displayed 8 , pushed it again and it went back to 88 each time. Pushed and held Start button. EVERYTHING lit up. opened door and E3 displayed. Closed Door and 88 again. Touched sensing strips with wet finger Tone came on. Closed door and 88 displayed again.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Pressing and holding the start button displayed 08, held it more and it would go from 08 to 88 back 08 back to 88. All the lights on the left for the control knob would flash on and off as I held the button.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Gotta run. I will be back around 1:30p.m.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's 1830 hours MDT and this has been no help at all. I checked back at 1330 hrs and had no reply to my diagnostics that I ran. Diagnostics gave numbers, but have no clue what the numbers mean. Went to a real human to have it fixed. This web site failed me.
I am sorry for the late reply. Everything that the diagnostics shows says that the system is working as it should. The numbers displayed are the revision number (08). As there is obviously something wrong the only conclusion is that the main control board is the failed component. Replacing it should solve the problem.Again I am sorry for the delay. I work full time as a handyman and am on call to work in a local saloon doing security. I had a full day at both jobs today.Best, Smitty
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Well, that was no help. Turns out the belt came off, as it was quite frayed. New belt took care of the problem. I figured there should be a code that says the belt is off, or broken, since there is supposedly a sensor to do that according to the parts list.