Whrlp Master Tech
Whrlp Master Tech, Whirlpool Master Technician
Experience:  30 years Appliance Field 15 yr with Whirlpool Corp. 9 yrs Whirlpool Technical Assistance Line
16832328

My dryer is not spinning the clothes good...the agitator is

Customer Question

My dryer is not spinning the clothes good...the agitator is turning during spin! Help!
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Whrlp Master Tech replied 1 year ago.
Hello from JA My name is Woody. I will be glad to assist you today. I have been servicing ALL Major Brands of Appliances for 34 Years, and have over 100,000 in home repairs and over 60,000 phone and internet repairs under my belt.I believe your question is on a washer even though your first sentence said dryer, is that correct?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That is correct....sorry!
Ok during a spin cycle the clothes touching the agitator will make the agitator turn as the unit spins.You could have several issues ,the pump not pumping the water out correctly .and or the belt for the transmission is slipping .When the unit is draining does it sounds like it is a good flow of water?and when it is draining the unit should start to cavitate sucking air before it starts to spin are you hearing that at all?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No sucking sound...good water flow. It starts out like it is overloaded, without the bumping..more like clicking sounds. it is not spinning fast enough to get the clothes away from the agitator. It is possible that my daughter really overloaded it and hasn't told me.
ok the not spinning fast enough to get the clothes away from the agitator ,,is good info .this clicking noise is it on the bottom of the unit? during a spin cycle.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It actually sounds like it is coming from the top...not the bottom!
By the top of the unit do you mean the console area? where the dial is.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Almost behind where the dial for set the wash cycle.
ok behind the dial is a timer it will make a clicking noise just like an older mechanical clock.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Would replacing the timer help with the spin cycle?
no two different issues. the timer clicking louder then usual ,will have nothing to do with a slow spin .does the unit seem to spin if the load is smaller?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, it does the same with only a few items...or empty!
can you pull the unit out a bit and tilt the unit back against the wall? so you can see if the belt is loose or not
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My husband took the belt off and put it back on... It is worn and probably needs to be replaced but still functional. He tighten the spring and it was is little better but still doing the same thing!
ok if the belt is worn and tightening it did make a difference ,then lets replace the belt and see how it odes then .It could be the belt is just so worn that it is slipping more then grabbing.Here is a link to the part.http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Drive-Belt/22003483/824667?rcaid=1000070 If you have any questions just reply back.