Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!
11418111

Refrigerator Problem: I have a 2004 Jenn-air model

Customer Question

Refrigerator Problem: I have a 2004 Jenn-air model JS42CSDBDA. BACKSTORY: Fridge was working fine until, last weekend I took the ice bucket out completely to use all the ice. I replaced the empty bin back in the freezer and several hours later, My freezer
was intermittently making a VERY loud noise and has been warming up to @ 25 degrees a few times and goes back down to normal Freezer temp. Fridge temp was normal and steady. When I would open the freezer or fridge the noise would stop. A few days later, Freezer
started making so much noise and for such a long time, that I shut the entire unit off. Now when I try to turn unit back on and once i hear something start to fire up (about 2 seconds), the whole thing kicks back off.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Hi, welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you! I suspect the issue lies with the board that controls the compressor. It is shown as number 37 in the diagram at the link below. Is that where the clicking is coming from? CLICK HERE That board looks like the picture below. CLICK HERE
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
You are asking about "clicking" noise. I wouldn't describe it like that...It was actually REALLY loud, like a motorcycle was running inside my kitchen. Do I need to open something to find the compressor board?
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Was the noise coming from the inside of the freezer?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes, I'm pretty sure it was coming from the freezer
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
That was probably the freezer fan. Can you hear a fan running in the freezer section now?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, as I stated in my original question...I shut the entire unit off because the noise was so loud and stayed on for a couple of hours. It would shut off when I opened either the fridge or freezer doors. But, at first, the noise would only stay for about 15 minutes(?), and would stop after I opened the door. That was happening for a few days. Then, the noise just went on for longer and longer periods. Finally, even though it would stop when I opened either door, it started up again as soon as I closed the door.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
So, I shut after I shut it off, it wouldn't turn back on.
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
So the fan is probably the cause of the noise. It will shut off when the doors are opened, it is wired in series with the fan motor. If it was hitting on ice that built up, that would also explain the poor cooling. The odd part is why the unit is shutting off now.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
So, if I can hear it trying to start up for about 2 seconds, and then die when I turn the switch back on, what do you think the problem is? I also think it is strange that all of this started happening right after I removed the ice maker bin, emptied it and then put it back.
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Is the noise you hear now coming from the area above the doors? Is it a humming noise or what type of noise are you hearing?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes, it is like a soft humming noise above the doors, possibly near the power switch?
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Probably the compressor. When it shuts off, does the entire power go off or do you just hear a click from above?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Also, I wanted to mention that in May, 2014, I had to replace the power supply control. And, about 5 weeks before this problem began, we had a power outage at our house and the refrigerator shut off. I pressed the reset button inside the fridge section and it came back on. Then, about 2 weeks later, I found the temperature in both the refrigerator and freezer were rising again. Again, just pressing the reset button in the fridge made the temp go back down. The issue I first emailed you happened about 1-2 weeks after that. I didn't mention it at first because I didn't think the issues were connected.
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
The power supply board has been a huge source of trouble on these. That is why I asked if it went totally dead when it stops after it tries to start.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes, it goes completely dead after it tries to start. You think i need to replace just that part or the compressor, or freezer fan?
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
If it is going totally dead, the issue is with the power board. I don't know about the noise, we need to get it running first to address that with any degree of certainty. The link below is to the part you will need from a highly recommended company rated A+ with the Better Business Bureau. They offer a 100% money back guarantee, EVEN ON INSTALLED ELECTRICAL PARTS, for an entire year! They are the only company to allow returns on installed parts for a refund and offer a FULL ONE YEAR WARRANTY! CLICK HERE
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok. That was the same part as last time. I'll buy it again and see what happens. Can I contact you back here after I have it replaced in case it doesn't solve the problem completely?
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Absolutely! Just post right back and it will alert me!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok. Thanks, Kelly!
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
You bet, have a great night!