Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!
11418111

My kitchen aid kbhv109pss00 has stopped microwaving, ultra

Customer Question

My kitchen aid kbhv109pss00 has stopped microwaving, ultra cook is poor and it smells like electrical wiring burn/ozone smell.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Hi, welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you! The issue is likely a faulty transformer, that is really the only part that will create an odor like you are describing. The transformer is shown as number 34 in the diagram below. Have you been able to access that part? If you smell it, you will detect an odor right away if it is the source. CLICK HERE
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Kelly. Yes I have accessed the hv transformer. Can't say I smell anything. Maybe a hint of smell at top of capacitor (25). I have pulled 34 out for a closer look and nothing obviously damaged or burned. As soon as I get my multi meter back, I'll check continuity. Is primary the side with integral wiring or the side with spade tips?
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Please allow me just a few minutes, I will upload the technical info for you.
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
The tech sheet for that model is available below.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
On page six with the values, I guess it isn't important which is primary and secondary since they should meter the same. But what is the filament?
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
The magnetron filament. That test is not really accurate because they usually test good but will fail under a load if faulty.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Found the smell at the connection of the magnetron. Does it make sense that the magnetron would be bad while the transformer and capacitor is good?
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Sure! It is not real common but entirely possible. Did you remove the magnetron? Is the antenna showing any arc marks? How about the antenna cavity, it has to be clean with no arcing in there.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Insulator on magnetron contacts burned through underneath where I didn't see it at first. Also around base of the contractor nearest the burn is charred. Removed, and antennae isn't damaged nor are the inner areas damaged.
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
If the antenna cavity is not damaged, the magnetron should be able to be replaced without issue. The link below is to the part you will need from a highly recommended company rated A+ with the Better Business Bureau. They offer a 100% money back guarantee, EVEN ON INSTALLED ELECTRICAL PARTS, for an entire year! They are the only company to allow returns on installed parts for a refund and offer a FULL ONE YEAR WARRANTY! CLICK HERE
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Took ohm of hv xfrmr. Primary-primary 0, primary to ground OL on both, secondary to ground 83.5 ohm, filament -filament 0, filament to ground, OL . I think the xfrmr is ok. Capacitor tests to low ohm goes to OL then back, both ways. I think it's ok. Line fuse is good. Thermal switches have continuity. Could magnetron be only failure? Any other parts that need/should be replaced while I have it torn down?
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
The only parts I would replace are the magnetron and the rectifier diode.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, replaced magnetron and diode. I have my wiring notes on the capacitor side but my notes on the magnetron side are awol. Can't determine with certain from schematic if I have this right. White cable from xfrmr to one pole of capacitor along with diode. The other capacitor pole has a larger cable and the filament from the xfrmr. The larger cable goes to FA on the magnetron and the other end of the Xfrmr filament goes to F.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Photos