Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!
11418111

My Amana glass stove stop built into my countertop has an element

Customer Question

My Amana glass stove stop built into my countertop has an element that has the inner circle for small pans and a larger heat circle for large pans. When the burner is turned off, the surface heat light stays on and the burner remains warm to the touch. It does not turn off on its own cause the burner remains warm for hours, even tho turned off. when I put a bowl of ice on it, it cools off and the light goes out. And no more heat in generated until we turn it on again. So the surface indicator is not malfunctioning...the burner does remain warm until I cool it with the ice. What causes it to stay warm for hours?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for counting on us to help with your appliance problem. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you! The only way it would stay warm for that long is if there is power getting to the element. I would suspect there is a small amount of voltage getting through the switch contacts. Do you have a meter to test the power out of the switch when it is off?