Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!
11418111

I have a GE side by side refrigerator that leaves water on

Customer Question

I have a GE side by side refrigerator that leaves water on the floor and forms a sheet of ice on the bottom of the freezer. How do I fix it?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for counting on us to help with your appliance problem. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you! The defrost drain is plugged. That drain is at the bottom of the panel in the back of the freezer (inside). It will be easiest to open the doors and unplug the refrigerator for 24 hours or you will have to remove the rear wall from inside the freezer to manually thaw it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I checked the drain with a 3 3/4 long screw driver. All clear. What next???
Nelson
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
The only other place for the water to come from would be the ice maker. Is it overfilling or splashing water?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When the first puddle of water was on the floor, I shut off the water supply to the refrigerator. No change in the puddle size that seems to occur with the freezer automatic defrost cycle. There is more of a ice build up in the trough of the freezer at the side next to the refrigerator than there is at the freezer door hinged wall. What next?
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
It has to be a defrost drainage issue if the water is off and still puddling. That is the only place water can come from.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
So what is the fix to get the defrost heat/freeze cycle back in sink as it was before the problem?
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
The defrost water drips off from the coils and into the tray at the bottom of the evaporator. If the drain is clear, the liner under the tray must be leaking.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Since the drain is open, why would there be ice at the bottom of the freezer? Why wouldn't all the water drain to the evaporation 'tray' and leak out on the floor? Is the bottom of the freezer completely sealed so that the only way water can get out is through the drain? Could the evaporation water flow so fast the the drain can't take it all and some flows to be bottom
of the freezer?
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
No, the water is a slow drip. It has to be coming over that lip and into the freezer for some reason. Can you pour water in that tray and see what happens?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The layer of ice that forms on the bottom of the freezer below the shelves fills the depression. Adding water flows above the depression and under the door and out to the floor on the hinged side of the freezer door. How do I find out if this is the leak or there is a hold in the evaporator pan?
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
The water gets poured in the drain trough, not the freezer bottom....
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If poured slow enough it all goes down the defrost drain hole. It takes a very low level in the trough were the water flowing in the drain is close to overflowing the front of the trough front lip.
Can you confirm that there are factory setting to control the heat and cool temperature and time for the defrost cycle? What would cause these to change from the factory setting? How much water will the evaporation pan hold before it backs up in the drain? How much water is expected from the defrost cycle?
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
The drain is plugged down below. Access the bottom of the tube in the drain pan and I suspect you will find it plugged.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How do I access the bottom of the drain tube?
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Pull the refrigerator out and remove the rear access panel. The tube will extend from the bottom of the cabinet into the plastic drain pan that the compressor is mounted in.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I disconnected the drain tube from the defrost drain. Flexible probe confirms no obstruction in defrost drain and no blockage in the 90 degree bend of the tube running from the defrost drain behind the compressor. What next?
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Is the water still slow to get down that tube and overflowing?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
You do not understand my last message. NO BLOCKING FOUND thus no change in flow. This chasing of the plugged defrost drain has been a wild goose chase. I am going to request another 'Expert'.
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Excellent, good luck.