John, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance repair business owner for over 43 years.
12064207

I have a kenmore elite stand alone ice maker, model number

Customer Question

I have a kenmore elite stand alone ice maker, model number 106-89489996. It was working fine until we went on vacation and unplugged it. When we plugged it back up it would make some ice and then switch to cleaning mode and not make ice anymore
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Whrlp Master Tech replied 1 year ago.
Hello from JA My name is Woody. I will be glad to assist you today. I have been servicing ALL Major Brands of Appliances for 34 Years, and have over 100,000 in home repairs and over 60,000 phone and internet repairs under my belt.When you say it goes into clean do you mean the light comes on and is blinking?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it doesn't blink, but it flips over to cleaning. This icemaker is an older version there are not led lights, you push the buttons and it flips the indicator to on
ok tare you switching it to clean or is it doing it itself?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
its doing it itself
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
are you there?
I`m sorry I had a fire Alarm I HAD to got on !This unit will not switch itself from on to clean , do you have little one around the home?
that is a mechanical switch some one has to press it fro it to go to clean it can not or has no way of doing it itself.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
You are not correct it does automatically switch over. We have no "little" ones in the house. Only my husband and myself. After about 8 hours of running the cleaning cycle comes on and the ice maker will not make ice any longer
this is a mechanical switch it is not electronic in order for it to switch from one setting to the next it has to be pushed when you say it switches over to clean do you mean the flag above the button is switched or that the clean light is on or flashing?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
clean light is flashing and the flag above the clean button is red, machine is very hot inside
then you have GREMLINS in your home ,this switch has NO WAY of switching itself .And in my very first post to you I asked if the clean light was blinking and you stated (it doesn't blink) now your last post is saying the clean light is blinking.which one is it ?? Blinking or not blinkingand if it is blinking how many times before a pause ? it will blink a number of time and then a pause blink a number of times and a pause.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I didn't notice the first time if the light was blinking, the last time I noticed it was blinking. I have turned the machine off, so I will plug it back in and wait for the gremlins to switch it to clean.
ok no problem
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the light is blinking steady
ok on this model a blinking light is an error code it has two error does blinking light 2 times and a pause or 5 times and then a pause.Look at it closely please.