Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!
11418111

I'm experiencing the same issue, but couldn't get agita

Customer Question

Hi. I'm experiencing the same issue, but couldn't get agitator up after pulling hard. Does it come up on all GE machines? Just want to avoid breaking it...
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for counting on us to help with your appliance problem. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you! The agitator does indeed just pull off the Air Bell Coupling, number 310 in the diagram below. It may just need a little more force to pull up.
http://www.partadvantage.com/diagram/4/00117000/00117009.i03/680/900
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok... I got it up. Now how do I fix it? ;). Like I said, I have the same problem as one of your previous posts... It makes a very loud... Almost grinding noise... Only when it agitates. Spin cycle is totally normal sounding. Thanks.
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
On that plastic part under the agitator, the bell coupling, can you remove the bolt and take it off to inspect the splines inside?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I did. If by 'splines' you mean the ~4" cylinder that sticks up in the center... It seems the ridges on the edges of it (going up and down so as to interlock with the inside of the plastic part under the agitator that I just removed) are fine
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If it helps... I just moved and this was handled by movers... So it may have been jostled around a bit...
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I also just scraped around the bottom of the agitator (where it meets the basket) and pulled out an old paperclip (looks like been there for far longer than I've owned this). Thinking I should remove larger bolt to clean and inspect underneath... But unsure at what point I'll do something that may spray water - so will wait for your advice. :)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My washer machine makes a loud noise (almost sounds like something scraping at a high pitch) when it agitates. Can someone help walk me through a repair?