Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

Product is Amana COMMERCIAL washer Model LWA50AW. Mfg No.

Customer Question

Product is Amana COMMERCIAL washer Model LWA50AW. Mfg No. PLWA50AW,
S/N(###) ###-#### (all data from nameplate) Unit began making ticking sound on agitate, which got louder and louder over time. Then yesterday it stopped agitating on a large load. My guess is the plastic cam dogs are toast. So I went online to find repair instructions but all I can find, searching for that make and model, is replacement instructions for what must be a different model, with different internal parts beneath the cup at top of agitator. I don't find the 7/16ths bolt, etc. Removing the cup I just look into a cavity with a small diameter riser of some type. Need advice on right parts and method of replacement, assuming agreement on likely root problem. Unit is 10 plus years old, but otherwise running fine.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
So to start, this model doesn't have any agitator dogs or "cam dogs" as you call them. The agitator is mounted directly to the transmission shaft and if the unit isn't agitating but it still spins, you either have a stripped out agitator or you have a bad transmission. You'll need to pull the agitator off to see if it's stripped out. If it's not stripped out and the plastic hub below the agitator isn't stripped out, you'd need a new transmission which is about $350 to have replaced. To remove the agitator you just have to grab the bottom of the agitator and pull up REALLY hard (usually it helps if you have 2 people to grab each side). Once you pull up hard enough, it will unclip and the bottom and pop straight up and off.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
Hello again. I'm just following up because I haven't heard back from you and I see this question is still open. Is there anything else I can help you with?