Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

The LCD display is like snow. Can't read the control buttons.

Customer Question

The LCD display is like snow. Can't read the control buttons. But if you know where to press, the buttons still work. The oven is a GE Profile electric wall unit, model PT960wM1WW. I've ordered a replacement for the LCD, but GE can't find one since February.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
The part number you'd need to order and replace is WB27T11058, but unfortunately the part is about $1100 and sold out almost everyone except I see one in stock in the link below if you wanted to order it from them. If the unit is less than 1 year old then GE will cover the part, but you must wait until they get another one in stock because they will not re-imburse you if you buy it somewhere else like in the link below. CLICK HERE for control panel
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The part I need is not the whole assembly. It is just the LCD panel, which I have had on order since February. GE keeps telling me a new date for shipment of the LCD panel, so I'm not happy. Any suggestion of what I can do myself to make the panel work? Is there a repair manual?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
By the way, the GE price for the LCD is only about $20.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
That's the bracket, you'd need the entire panel. The $20 part is part number WB27T11497. The part they are trying to order you is the wrong part I'm afraid.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What about actions I might take. Pressing button areas on the display still works, if you know where to press. And once in a while the display clears and shows the buttons. How about pulling all the electrical connections to the display and giving them a good cleaning?
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
You can definitely try that, but if cleaning doesn't work there is no other option but to replace that entire expensive part.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Or put the money toward a new oven. Thanks for trying.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
Not a problem but I'm sorry about the bad news.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
Hello again. I'm just following up because I haven't heard back from you and I see this question is still open. Is there anything else I can help you with?