Whrlp Master Tech
Whrlp Master Tech, Whirlpool Master Technician
Experience:  30 years Appliance Field 15 yr with Whirlpool Corp. 9 yrs Whirlpool Technical Assistance Line
16832328

My freezer stopped working, I removed the panel from the back

Customer Question

My freezer stopped working, I removed the panel from the back and the coil is free of ice. it sounds like a relay keeps clicking on and off
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Whrlp Master Tech replied 1 year ago.
Hello from JA My name is Woody. I will be glad to assist you today. I have been servicing ALL Major Brands of Appliances for 34 Years, and have over 100,000 in home repairs and over 60,000 phone and internet repairs under my belt. Can I please have the Full model number of the unit to better assist you ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Maytag Plus MSD2756DEW
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Are you still with me ?
Yes I just have more then one customer that I`m assisting.I assume the freezer Evaporator fan is running .And the Condenser fan under the unit is it running? (you may have to pull the unit out and remove the rear inspection panel to be sure)I assume the clicking is from the Compressor ( black domes part under the unit in the rear Can you pull the unit out so we can look at the Compartment under the unit?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Correct, both the condenser and compressor fans are running, I have full access to all sides and the back cover has been removed. The compressor is hot and running both lines are warm, it sounds like the relay clicks either on or off and within a couple of seconds it clicks again, I have a multi meter in my hands.
ok so if the relay on the compressor is clicking on /off then the compressor is NOT running , it may be trying to start ,but not running .on the side of the compressor is a black box that has wires going into it .Unplug the refrigerator from the wall outlet ans pop that black box open and remove the relay and overload from the compressor they just slip on the compressor terminals and the white over load shake it to see if it rattles as if something is broken loose inside itv
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay will do, it almost sounds like the clicking is coming from the fan motor clicking on and off, when it clicks the fan picks up speed and the opposite when clicking again.
the fan and the compressor are on the same circuit so when the compressor tries to start it will draw more voltage and the fan will then slow down
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the component that was attached to the side of the compressor is white it has three female connecters that accept three male prongs from the compressor and three terminals on the other side of which accept wire connectors. It makes noise like a baby rattle.
Ok great work .That rattling sound tells me the overload is bad ,the relay and over load need to be replaced as a kit. The link below is to the part you will need from a highly recommended company rated A+ with the Better Business Bureau. They offer a 100% money back guarantee, EVEN ON INSTALLED ELECTRICAL PARTS, for an entire year! They are the only company to allow returns on installed parts for a refund and offer a FULL ONE YEAR WARRANTY! http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Relay-And-Overload-Kit/12002783/1194748?rcaid=1000070 If you have any questions just reply back.