John, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance repair business owner for over 43 years.
12064207

My old Kenmore coldspot trips the gci when it goes into defrost

Customer Question

My old Kenmore coldspot trips the gci when it goes into defrost mode so I am trying to trouble shoot..
Category: Appliance
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am suspecting a short. I can advance the timer past the defrost cycle, reset the gci and everything works fine until the next defrost cycle (after 6-8 hrs)
Expert:  Whrlp Master Tech replied 1 year ago.
Hello from JAMy name is ***** ***** be glad to assist you today.I have been servicing ALL Major Brands of Appliances for 34 Years,and have over 100,000 in home repairs and over 60,000 phone and internet repairs under my belt.Can I please have the Full model number of the unit to better assist you ?And you have two issues here#1 When the unit is in a defrost mode you will have water dripping on the electric heating element ,there is no way around that.#2 The refrigerator should not be on a GFCI circuit ,as per the manufacture is should be on it`s own designated slow blow circuit.Just for this very reason , and also for when the compressor start it can pull alot of voltage at that very instant that a GFCI will trip thinking it if a short /over amperage of the component plugged into the outlet.#3 it could have a wire that is getting wet during a defrost cycle .And if it has worked on this circuit for years because you did say your old Kenmore coldspot ,it could be that the GCFI circuit interrupter is getting weak and starting to fail.But if you do decide to take the freezer Evaporator cover off make sure all electrical connections on the defrost heater are insulated so water can not get to the electrical wiring.if the defrost system has ever been worked on the repair may not have insulated the electrical repair of replacement of a part correctly .Let me know if you find any thing on the defrost heater connections ,and if you have any questions just reply back to me .
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it is a Kenmore coldspot model(###) ###-####
Never been serviced before and has always been in this outlet in our garage. the issue stared when the door was accidentally left not fully closed (blocked) and the gci tripped.
I can try running a line not from a gci outlet and see if it trips the breaker.
on defrost mode do you how much resistance should I see or expect on the ac plug (unplugged), I am measuring 26 ohms.
Yes try a non GFCI outlet .And the resistance should be 21-27Ω . so 26 is fine!But the resistance of the heater and timer motor is not the issue the issue would be if the heater circuit does have resistance to ground during a defrost cycle
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
good point, i'll put it on defrost cycle and measure to ground
ok and if you get no resistance to ground plug it back in and let it start to defrost ,so it produces some water .
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
shows zero resistance to ground. transferred to a non-gci outlet now and it has not trip the breaker yet...as you said could be a weakened gci out :) I'll wait 30 min and see if it cycles back to cold mode
ok no problem .I will be here.