Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

Yes, I have a Frigidaire Gallery side by side that is 15 years

Customer Question

Yes, I have a Frigidaire Gallery side by side that is 15 years old. The ice maker is the problem. I was away for a while and when I came back there was a frozen mass in the bin with what looked like a tray of fresh cubes. I took out the tray and defrosted it and put it back. Shortly thereafter I heard a tray of cubes fall. 4 hours later I go to get ice and there are a few cubes in the bin but they are floating in water. The chilled water dispenser works fine. There are some dried ribbons of minerLs down the front of the freezer door from the dispenser drip tray. Do I need to call a repair company? Thanks!
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
The problem is going to be the icemaker itself. If you're handy you can replace this yourself. The icemaker is cycling too quickly. It should never cycle until the water has gotten below 10 degrees (22 degrees below freezing) to ensure it's completely frozen before it cycles. That's why you had a frozen mass and the cubes are partially watery. Below is a link to the icemaker you'd need to order which is all plug and play and takes me about 15 minutes to replace if you wanted to replace it yourself. CLICK HERE for icemaker We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service before you leave today. If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.