Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

My maytag Neptune mah9700awm started with a nd code suddenly.

Customer Question

my maytag Neptune mah9700awm started with a nd code suddenly. the repairman came out and told us the drain pump was clear and okay but he would replace that and the door switch anyway. a different repairman came back after the parts came and gave a different diagnosis. He did not replace the drainpump but did replace the door switch. That did not fix the problem. at that point the repairman said it was the noise filter. He did say the drain pump was ok. We were told the drain pump was no longer being made for the maytag mah9700awm. The repairman said the machine couldnot be fixed because of the noise filter not being available. at this point the machne was not coming on at all. No display or anything. I went online found the noise filter my husband installed it. The display lit up the machine will fill but still thee nd code. We then ordered and installed a new drain pump. When we took the old drain pump off it a nickel in it and the impeller blade were broken. The machine will fill but will not spin now. We don't know if it will drain because it has not gotten that far
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
The washer won't spin because it can't drain. It sounds like you have really gone through a whole lot of things already but unfortunately you're not finished yet---this was all created because something was jamming the pump which caused it to overload. That takes out the relay on the main control board and eventually will short out the noise filter. You replaced the noise filter, you replaced the drain pump, but you now need to replace the main control board if you wanted to fix the issue still. The part is about $300 normally but you'll need to call a parts store to look up the part because there is a serial break on this unit so make sure you have the serial number as well. Also, the error code that comes up "nd" means "no drain" which is basically just telling you the obvious. We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service before you leave today. If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
is the machine worth putting that much into? I know it is up to me. but what else can go out on this machine
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
The expensive repairs for this unit would be a main drum bearing or the control board. The control board is generally the only part that really fails on this machine so if you fix it I'd expect it to last another 5-10 years before something else failed, but that's completely up to you if you wanted to fix it or not. Personally, if you had the extra money I would probably just replace the unit, but that is me.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
Hello again. I'm just following up because I haven't heard back from you and I see this question is still open. Is there anything else I can help you with?