Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!
11418111

I have a GE electric drier model # ***** The problem

Customer Question

I have a GE electric drier model # ***** The problem I am having is that the only way I can get the dryer to stay on is to hold in on the push start switch. when I let go it stops. I taped the push button in the in position and it runs great and goes through any of the cycles dries the clothes and shuts off when done. I ordered a new push start swith and installed it but its doing the same thing as before.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Hi, welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you! The centrifugal switch on the motor is faulty. That switch is what switches the power from the start winding to the run winding once the motor starts to keep the motor running. The switch is part of the motor assembly, so the motor will need to be replaced. The motor is shown as number 630 in the diagram at the link below. CLICK HERE The link below is to the part you will need from a highly recommended company. CLICK HERE Considering the cost, you may consider replacing the dryer or looking for a used motor. Please let me know if you have additional questions or need clarification. There is no additional charge for any follow up help! Please remember to leave positive feedback before you leave. If you have any other questions, please let me know! You may continue asking follow-up questions until you have all the information you need, even after rating my service. Thank you!