Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!
11418111

My Microwave hood isn't working. The display is lit up but

Customer Question

My Microwave hood isn't working. The display is lit up but doesn't perform functions. I press light, vent...and nothing happens. If I press 1 minute...it will clock off two seconds and then go back to the clock time. Nothing happens in the microwave either.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Hi, welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you! Your touch panel is likely experiencing a failure. You may need to replace the control panel but there is a trick you can try first. Turn off the power to the appliance. Use a hair dryer to heat the panel up until very warm while rubbing firmly over each of the buttons. Often times, this will restore operation. Be sure to get the panel very warm but not hot enough to damage the plastic. If this does not work, the panel will need to be replaced. Let me know what happens and I can get you the correct part information.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks...that is what we figures. Nothing lasts long anymore.
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
I agree, the electronics have been a huge issue with all appliances! They look nice and work good but the longevity is no longer there. It is sad that an average expected life is about 8-9 years!