John, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance repair business owner for over 43 years.
12064207

We have had a Maytag refrigerator years, the

Customer Question

Hello. We have had a Maytag refrigerator for some years, the bottom freezer has been icing up for the past few weeks, even after defrosting. Can you advise, please? Thanks. *****
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
Do you have a model number so I can better assist you? It should be located on a sticker near the ceiling of the refrigerator section. And can you explain what you mean by "icing up"? What are you seeing EXACTLY.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello, Tyler. Model no: MBF2256KEW. I see ice covering some of the frozen foods, and a whiskery sort of ice on others. Hope that helps.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
OK the first thing you'll need to do is get an alternate thermostat and put it in the freezer to see what temperature the freezer really is. Let me know when you find this out.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Where do I get an alternate thermostat? What is it?
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
Just a cheap thermostat which you can pick up at a grocery store.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
So when I have the information do I come back to the website and cite the reference number?
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
yes, just post back when you get the information.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK, thanks. Goodbye.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
ok goodbye
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I've already replied once. My local "grocery store" has never heard of an "alternate thermostat", nor has my local Home Depot.The lower-left side of the freezer has a huge amount of what I can only describe as "whiskery ice". Please advise...
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
"alternate" isn't part of the name. I'm talking about an "alternate" thermostat other than the thermostat which is built into the refrigerator already---as in any cheap thermostat which you can buy at any grocery store which measures the temperature.