John, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance repair business owner for over 43 years.
12064207

We have a problem with our Whirlpool refrigerator model GB2FHDFWS04.

Customer Question

We have a problem with our Whirlpool refrigerator model GB2FHDFWS04. Ice builds up on the bottom of the freezer section, then melts off near the door and causes a constant puddle in front of the unit. At first we thought our ice maker line was leaking but we turned the water off and it still forms ice there. We have had it for less than 4 years but this started after about 18 months. Suggestions?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Whrlp Master Tech replied 1 year ago.
Hello from JA My name is Woody. I will be glad to assist you today. I have been servicing ALL Major Brands of Appliances for 34 Years, and have over 100,000 in home repairs and over 60,000 phone and internet repairs under my belt.Can you look at the model number once more please ,GB2FHDFWS04 does not show as a good Whirlpool model number. This is a defrost drain on the bottom of the freezer Evaporator coil ,which is behind the rear interior freezer wall.everything will need to be removed out of the freezer and the rear interior freezer wall will need to be removed to gain access to the drain line hole to defrost it and unclog it.
I suspect the model number to be GB2FHDXWS04
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes, sorry. I typed the model wrong. It is the model you listed...
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is this something we can do ourselves or should I schedule a service call?
Ok so you have the freezer drawer instead of the door so the drawer front will need to be removed also .You can do it just requires basic hand tools, a hair dryer (to defrost the ice) and I use hot water and a Turkey baster to clear the clog in the drain line.