Whrlp Master Tech
Whrlp Master Tech, Whirlpool Master Technician
Experience:  30 years Appliance Field 15 yr with Whirlpool Corp. 9 yrs Whirlpool Technical Assistance Line
16832328

My bottom freezer AMANA will not chill or freeze.

Customer Question

Category: Appliance
Expert:  Whrlp Master Tech replied 1 year ago.
Hello from JA My name is Woody. I will be glad to assist you today. I have been servicing ALL Major Brands of Appliances for 34 Years, and have over 100,000 in home repairs and over 60,000 phone and internet repairs under my belt.I would pull the unit out and remove the rear inspection cover.and look to see is the Condenser fan running?And feel the black domed Compressor is it cold ,warm, or hot and is it vibrating as if it is running?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The unit has been turned on for 30 minutes now after we had it off over 24 hrs & cleaned out all the dust. The fan is turning just fine, but the condenser is getting warmer on top of the dome. It runs about 13 seconds every 3 minutes then it stops with a definite 'click' sound.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The condenser doesn't vibrate or hum in between the 3 minute. cycles.In addition to not cooling, the ice maker isn't filling, although I can get water to flow thru the filtered outlet in the refrigerator compartment. The tines of the ice maker in the freezer do not turn at all and they had stopped at about a 30 degree angle above the top of the ice maker. In the past I have had to remove small chips of ice from one the openings where the ice ejects so the tines could turn. Could the fact that the ice maker isn't functioning effect the cooling?
ok I still believe the compressor is not running at all ,just attempting to start .and of course the icemaker cycles by temperature if the freezer is not cold the icemaker will not run or make ice.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I' ansewered your question very precisely . See above) Now what?
Should I get some feed-back to my response?
Yes the condenser is hot on the top.
The condenser does run for about 14 seconds and cycles every 3 minutes exactly the same each time.
Yes the fan is running all the time.
Yes there is vibration During the 14 seconds the condenser is on. Then it starts over again every 3 minutes & 14 second it starts over.
So far I was only asked questions no ansewered to the problem.
ok the compressor is the one vibrating not the condenser, and the click sound is the compressor overload opening because the compressor is not starting only trying to then the overload opens.You will need to replace the start device .Mounted on the compressor. The link below is to the part you will need from a highly recommended company rated A+ with the Better Business Bureau. They offer a 100% money back guarantee, EVEN ON INSTALLED ELECTRICAL PARTS, for an entire year! They are the only company to allow returns on installed parts for a refund and offer a FULL ONE YEAR WARRANTY! http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Start-Device/12555902/821744?rcaid=1000070 And of course the icemaker is not making ice because the unit is not cooling , the icemaker cycles by temperature. If you have any questions just reply back.