Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

What is the air gap requirement when replacing a dishwasher.

Customer Question

what is the air gap requirement when replacing a dishwasher. My current installation has no
air gap. my sink has no place for an air gap. I look at new sinks. In general, they don't seem to provide for air gaps.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
Whether you are required to use an air gap or not is strictly reliant on whether or not you have a code in your state which requires you to. Here in Colorado, they do not require you to use an air gap. If you don't install it to an air gap in-line, you'll need to either raise the drain hose up to the bottom of the counter top before going down into the garbage disposal to create a high rise drain loop, of if the unit is going into a stand pipe, just install the hose into a stand pipe and zip tie the drain hose to the side of the stand pipe so it can't fall out by accident.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
Hello again. I'm just following up because I haven't heard back from you and I see this question is still open. Is there anything else I can help you with?