Whrlp Master Tech
Whrlp Master Tech, Whirlpool Master Technician
Experience:  30 years Appliance Field 15 yr with Whirlpool Corp. 9 yrs Whirlpool Technical Assistance Line
16832328

EsequielI am trying to diagnose the problem with my 2

Customer Question

Hi EsequielI am trying to diagnose the problem with my 2 yr old Kenmore Elite Ultraclean dishwasher
Category: Appliance
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it stops mid cycle. after it stops, it is easily re-started, but never finishes the cycle. right before this started to happen, we noticed a whirring noise when the circ pump was running.interestingly, i ran it without the filter on accident with no dishes, and it completes the cycle.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i also tried re-setting the control board by pressing the buttons alternately. i also powered it off for several minutes. neither helped.one final note is that the whirring noise is now gone, but the unit always stops somewhere in the cycle.
Expert:  Whrlp Master Tech replied 1 year ago.
Hello from JA My name is Woody. I will be glad to assist you today. I have been servicing ALL Major Brands of Appliances for 34 Years, and have over 100,000 in home repairs and over 60,000 phone and internet repairs under my belt. Can I please have the Full model number of the unit to better assist you ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
woody. it is a Kenmore Elite Ultraclean. Model(###) ###-####
I need the FULL model number which is 10 digits long .If you open the dishwasher door the model /serial tag will be in the inner tank frame on the right side.and will look like 665 . 1276???
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok. sorry. here it is 665.12763k311
Ok thank you!When the unit shuts odd how are you getting it to restart? just pressing start or do you have to reprogram the control ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it starts back up using the control panel everytime - which strikes me as odd. it just randomly shuts off mid-cycle.
ok using the control panel does not tell me anything !Do you have to just press start or reprogram the cycle?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i just press start. it automatically defaults to the prior cycle.
ok so then it restarts the cycle all over again or just starts the cycle where it ended ? that is what I need to know!!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it starts the cycle all over again.
ok if it start the cycle completely over again then the issue has to be with in the control board. if it was just staring off from where it stopped that would be a door switch issue.
The link below is to the part you will need from a highly recommended company rated A+ with the Better Business Bureau. They offer a 100% money back guarantee, EVEN ON INSTALLED ELECTRICAL PARTS, for an entire year! They are the only company to allow returns on installed parts for a refund and offer a FULL ONE YEAR WARRANTY! http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Control-Board/W10567080/2685112?rcaid=1000070 If you have any questions just reply back.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
there is no chance of a mechanical problem of any kind? what about the thermal cutoff?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
what i find baffling is that it completes the cycle when the filter is removed . . . . this has me thinking it is something in the circ/pump category.
if you had a mechanical issue the control would not cut off !the control would just keep on advancing .And if it was the thermal fuse the dishwasher would be dead , no power to the control board at all . and the only way to get power back to the unit would be to replace the thermal fuse , it is a one time fuse ,it does not reset .
the unit has no way of knowing if the filter is on or out ,so that was just by chance.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok that makes sense. ugggh. this is an expensive part.
Well it is an electronic control board , and yes but not as expensive as some ,some of the new built in oven /microwaves the controls are over $800.00
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
woody, i have to tell you that this was not the problem. i found out how to run the diagnostic procedure. it showed an error with the drain pump (8-4).I pulled the drain pump and it had a good amount of debris stuck around the impeller. It's now run several cycles with no issue.
This model is designed to give you blinking lights if it has a error code, you did not say anything about blinking lights and you also stated that you also had tried ( re-setting the control board by pressing the buttons alternately.)And a issue with either pump would not have made the unit just stop, because the control board has no idea if the pump motor are running or not .So I hope the cleaning of the pump does do the trick for you .and you will want to scrap the excess food off the dishes however the detergent manufacture does not want you to rinse the dished .the detergent is designed to use the oils ,sauces ,and juices to work with the detergent.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I didn't have any blinking lights at all. The unit simply stopped mid cycle. I only got the blinking lights after I figured out how to run the diagnostic procedure yesterday.As for whether or not this has been the cause - I won't be certain until it runs several more cycles.I don't think the debris caused the pump to stop - but may have slowed draining - which triggered a fault?My feedback is that I wish you'd told me how to perform the diagnostic procedure.
If the unit was just stopping and shutting down there was no indication that the unit would have even had error codes ,since the lights were not blinking or I would have .