Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!
11418111

I have a Jenn-air C221 (Run 2) electric stove. All of a sudden

Customer Question

I have a Jenn-air C221 (Run 2) electric stove. All of a sudden I seem to get about half the heat on the left coils. With the turn-knob on hi setting, it just enough to barely simmer. Also, one time when I turned on the left front burner, the back one came on.
I expect that one of the controls have malfuctioned?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Hi, welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you! I suspect you may have a faulty switch or the terminals on the cartridge or the receptacle are burnt. Can you get a look at both and see if they look burnt or show arc marks?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Kelly, I will check the terminals on the coils and in the receptacles that the coils plug into. I assume that is what you are talking about. I replaced the wiring in the pans and put new receptacles in a about a year ago and everything has worked great since then. I will do this tomorrow morning when I have time and report back. Note though, the coils on the right side also don't work correctly. Perhaps you can tell me what voltage I should see in the left and right receptacles (and in what terminals) when the power is turned on? Wouldn't that help determine if I have a switch or control issue vs. something in pan?
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
If the right is not working either, the main power supply may have issues. You may have lost one side of the 240 VAC to the range. Flip the breaker on and off a couple times. Any change?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Kelly,I opened the wiring access door on the stove so I could measure the voltage coming to the stove. It appears that I have a 3 wire system (no bare or green wire, just red, black, and white). I read only 120 V between the black and white wire. I get no voltage from the red to black or red to white. I flipped the breaker off and on and no change. Bad breaker? Isn't that unusual to have a bad breaker?
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Bad breaker or a break in the line somewhere. Sounds like you may need an electrician unless you intend to replace the breaker yourself. You could test the breakers for power out, that will help determine if the issue is a breaker or line between the breaker and outlet. Glad you got it figured out, though!