Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

I have a Maytag Refrid Moedl MFD 2561HES. I can no longer get

Customer Question

I have a Maytag Refrid Moedl MFD 2561HES. I can no longer get the cooling setting to go below 39 for the freezer and 56 for the rest. Both are below where they should be. Can you help?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
If you open the freezer door, do you see frost build up on the back panel in the freezer? And do you hear a fan running inside the freezer when the drawer is opened?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Tyler:I do not see any frost buildup, and I do hear the fan running.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ice try is a pool of water and ice cream is slop.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry, ice tray...
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
OK that is what I figured. Unfortunately this means that your compressor is either becoming inefficient or you have a freon leak. The unit is running trying to get down to the correct temperature and the display is showing the proper temperature so you know the sensors are all working. You'll want to pull the refrigerator forward and remove the lower back access panel behind the unit. Make sure the fan next to the compressor is running. If not then replace the fan motor. If the fan is running, you'll need a technician to come out and check the freon pressure because you either have a freon leak or need a new compressor and the only way to determine that is to tap into the sealed system and check the pressures. A new compressor is about $650 and a freon leak is about $400 to have repaired I'm sorry to say. We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service before you leave today. If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.