MRANSWER
MRANSWER, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  30 YRS EXP. FACTORY TRAINED AND AUTHORIZED ON ALL MAJOR BRANDS
13971964

Similar to the last customer, I have a really bad smell coming

Customer Question

Similar to the last customer, I have a really bad smell coming out of the drip pan, to the point where I suspect there may be a dead mouse that got in there. But it is not remove able, as you have said. The smell is overwhelming my kitchen, not sure what to do. What do you recommend?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  MRANSWER replied 1 year ago.
Get the refrigerator outside, take off the back and flush out whatever is in that drain pan with a hose. You should be able to reach most of the pan to scrub it as best you can. Keep water off of anything electrical. This is the only way you will take care of this problem as there is no magical way to remove the decomposition and its smell. I know a refrigerator is not easily moved, but you need to figure out how to get this done in any case.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for your response. It's tough, because I don't have a way to get the refrigerator out and down a flight of stairs. So I tried to take off the back and sop up what I could see and reach with paper towels, which has been only somewhat successful. I'm really frustrated about the inability to remove the drip tray, because I think there's still something in there that I can't reach. This design makes no sense... Not sure you have a response to that!
Expert:  MRANSWER replied 1 year ago.
I cannot change the way this is made. You can flush it out in-place, but you'll need to deal with all the water that will need to be drained out and such.