Phil
Phil, Shop owner
Experience:  Degree, Mech. engr. shop owner. 51 years experience
23932409

My LG air conditioner LW1512ERS will run 6-8 mins and turn

Customer Question

My LG air conditioner LW1512ERS will run 6-8 mins and turn off for about 15 seconds and then turn itself back on. This is causing the compressor to wait to come back on as a safety measure I guess. I replaced the thermistor but that didn't work. Any ideas?
Category: Appliance
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No ideas?
Expert:  Phil replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I am researching the unit. So far it looks like a bad printed circuit card, that is not processing the thermistor signal correctly. You can try holding the thermistor in your hand to see if the unit will run longer. You can also do a heat stress test on the printed circuit card.Use a hair drier to slowly and gently warm the card to 120F (warm to the touch but not hot and not over 140F)... if you get any change in behavior that means the card is bad... A micro crack has opened in the printed circuit at a solder joint, or inside its CPU in that case .... or a short circuit has developed as the card expanded when you heated it. Constant expansion and contraction as these electronics heat and during their duty cycles over the years is what wears these cards out. It is also a good idea to replug all of the connections in the unit,that burnishes any oxidized terminal connections and will sometimes solve the problem, especially at the printed circuit card and in any sensor molex connectors. Do that with the power off to the unit of course. These cards are also damaged by Electrical Spikes caused by power failures and lightning. These high voltage spikes can literally explode the fine 'wire' connections inside the chip. There is also a shunt type device, often printed on to the card that allows a high voltage spike to arc across to ground harmlessly, some of these can wear out after a few times and allow the high voltage spike into the rest of the card and the CPU micro-circuits. The high end printed circuit cards use a large capacitor like device, or several in parallel, to capture and release such surges, these do not wear out. ----------------------
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will try the stress test and replug the connections. The unit is only two years old, but it is in a window that gets morning sun on it until noon. The Georgia sun could have caused a more severe heat to cool cycle and hastened the deterioration of the card. Thanks
Expert:  Phil replied 1 year ago.
The printed circuit cards are the achilles heel of these units, the heat stress test exposes maybe 70% of these, but not 100%... it depends on the nature of the defect.
....
We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service before you leave tomorrow. It is how I earn a living, and does not increase your charges. If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional cost.